Not only is the fourth week of September National Dog Week, but it is also National Deaf Dog Awareness Week! We often hear so much about dogs helping people with disabilities that we forget to focus on the dogs with disabilities as well. Fortunately, deaf dogs can live the same long, full, healthy lives as other dogs. Yet, many deaf dogs die in shelters each year because people are scared of what this disaility means. Thousands of dogs are euthanized in shelters each year simply because they are deaf and seen as “unadoptable.” However, most people who have adopted deaf dogs count it as a very rewarded and life altering experience.
Top Ten Reasons to Adopt a Deaf Dog:
- You are forced to learn something new.
- You realize you don’t know as much as you think you do.
- Life is never boring.
- You WILL be challenged.
- You will be amazed at what deaf dogs can do.
- You may find yourself volunteering more and becoming an activitist. Getting involved in a good cause is always a positive thing!
- The bond you have with your deaf dog is for life and unbreakable.
- You get to meet a lot of incredible and truly amazing people.
- You don’t have to worry about your dog barking at the doorbell, being scared of thunder or fireworks, and they won’t come barelling into the kitchen when you open a bag of chips.
- Your life will never be the same. It will be BETTER!
List taken from HERE.
For the rest of the week I will be posting several deaf dogs in need of adoption. Please help them if you can, even if it is by donating funds to give them more time to find suitable homes.
Check out Deaf Dog Education Fund to find out more about deaf dogs, locate specialized trainers, get resources, buy deaf dog support merchandise, and donate to help their programs to educate the public about deaf dogs.