October is Adopt-A-Shelter Dog month! It’s also Adopt-a-Dog month! There are somewhere 4,000-8,000 animals shelters in the US, and this does not even include many independent nonprofit rescue sanctuaries. About 4 million dogs enter shelters each year! Only about 1 million of those dogs get homes. Nearly 2.1 million dogs are euthanized in shelters around the country each year. Many people don’t consider adopting from shelters when searching for a new dog or pet; however, there are many advantages.
Top 13 reasons to adopt a shelter dog:
13. Shelters are full of stars waiting to be discovered-just ask Benji!
12. It’s the easiest way to gain superhero status.
11. Girls dig guys who are sensitive and caring.
10. Girls dig guys with cool dogs.
9. You might get a purebred. (It is estimated that 1/4 of dogs in shelters are purebred).
8. Save money. (Shelter adoption costs are far less than buying from a breeder or pet store.)
7. Great selection! (Because there are so many dogs in shelters, you’re sure to find the right one for you.)
6. Might find a trained dog. (Many dogs in shelters have been previously trained.)
5. You can stop looking for love in all the wrong places.
4. Make a fast friend. (It only takes minutes, but lasts a lifetime.)
3. No assembly required! Shelter dogs come complete with shots, housetraining, and a lifetime of love.
2. Every dog should have his (adoption) day.
1. Save a life.
If you can’t adopt a dog at this time, consider fostering one! Fostering allows a dog to experience the comforts of home while waiting for a forever family. Shelters can be very scary places for dogs, so opening your home to them can give them a much-needed safe and comfortable environment. Also, if you’re interested in adopting a dog but are not sure if you or your family is ready, you can try fostering to see what it’s like. Who knows, you could bring a foster dog into your home and never let him go!
Click HEREto visit ASPCA’s Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month page. Enter your dog in a costume photo contest to win prizes for you and your pooch, find a shelter in your area, read stories about rescued dogs, take a fun survey about your pup, and more! ASPCA is the sponsor of Adopt-a-Shelter Dog Month.
Click HERE to visit Shelter Dogs Speak, a blog about shelter dogs and America’s pets.
Click HERE to go to the Max The Shelter Dog book page. It’s a wonderful book that’s a great introduction to animals shelters and shelter dogs for kids, but it tells an important story for all animal lovers.
Don’t forgot to click on the image on the ride side of my blog to visit The Animal Rescue Site where you can click to donate food and purchase items to help support shelter dogs and animals.