November 17th marks the second annual National Black Cat Day in Italy. It is not only in the U.S. that black cats are seen as signs of evil curses and bad luck. The Italian Association in Defense of Animals and the Environment organized National Black Cat Day to try to spread the truth about black cats and rto educe the number of black cats killed in Italy each year. An estimated 60,000 black cats are killed in Italy each year. Many are also kidnapped and/or abandoned.
Of course, black cats have it bad in America as well. The Journal of Applied Animal Welfare found that in shelters, black cats are half as likely to get adopted as are tabby cats and two-thrids less likely to be adopted than white cats. Many rescue organizations and shelters even have to probihit the adoption of black cats during October due to the nasty treatment many unfortunately receive.
But, I am here to tell you that black cats and wonderful and should be celebrated. I have known several black cats in my day and not one of them brought with them evil curses or years of bad luck! In fact, it seems it is the cats themselves that have the bad luck, on behalf of human behavior.
So, here are the top ten reasons why everyone should adopt a black cat:
- 10. You’ll save money on their Halloween costumes.
- 9. You can always find them in the snow.
- 8. Holding a black cat is very slimming.
- 7. Black cats will match any decor.
- 6. A link brush isn’t required for a black-tie affair.5. When you love a black cat, luck is on your side.
4. Black cats are like onyx, a beautiful gem!
3. Hey, they don’t care what color you are!
2.They are least likely to be adopted.
1. Love knows no color.